The Town of Tecumseh, the OPP and Tecumseh Fire Services have a number of helpful safety tips:
* All snow and ice must be removed from sidewalks by property owners. It is illegal to push snow out onto the street [reference OHTA]. Vehicles must be removed from Town streets to allow for snow removal.
* Snow removal takes time especially in heavy accumulation. Please be patient.
* Snow plows have limited control of the amount and direction of the snow coming off the blade and create limited visibility while plowing. Never pass a snow plow and keep a safe distance behind them.
* Always ensure electrical connections between decorations and outlets are clear and in good condition. Do not use severed or frayed cords.
* Stay in the kitchen when cooking, drink responsibly and install and regularly test carbon monoxide and smoke alarms.
* Ensure your furnace and fireplaces are in proper working order and have been cleaned.
* In the event of a power outage, never run a generator in a closed or confined space; make sure it is well ventilated.
Personal & Property Safety:
* Be aware of your surroundings. Make sure you are parked in a well-lit area and never leave your vehicle unattended while running. Do not leave purses or purchases unattended and when loading your car, make sure your keys are in your hands or secured at all times.
* When using a bank machine, make sure they are visible and in well-lit areas.
* Don’t open or unlock your door for strangers and verify the identity of service persons.
* Make sure all bushes are pruned and keep outside lights on when going out for an evening. Lock all doors, windows and gates, and don’t leave remote openers in cars parked outside.
Safety on the roads:
* Drive according to the conditions and check the weather before you go.
* Do not use your cellphone while driving. Designate a passenger in the vehicle to take calls and texts or usethe hands-free option on your phone.
* Do not drink and drive. Make a plan to arrive safely. Designate a driver or call a cab.
Please contact 911 in the event of an emergency.